Sunday, November 21, 2010

GOOD DEED - MCDS

Every weekend my family and I spend some much needed and well deserved family time together. I feel it’s a nice way for us to bond, catch up, and spend time with one another.

Among the “fun” activities that we do, we fit in running errands that need to be done. On this particular day, the eve of Halloween, we needed to run to WalMart to pick up some last minute items. Upon getting there, we see a houseless (preferred term per Heavy D from MTV’s World of Jenks) person holding a sign, “Hungry, will work for food.” In this day and age, helping a person holding this sign is a double-edged sword. One person’s vision will be to not help them because you’d be perpetuating the problem, whereas the next person wants to for whatever reason being good. I’m the latter.

We get into the store and do our duties; all the while my conscience is reminding me to buy him something from McDonald’s. I felt he wouldn’t care what I got him so long as he had something to eat. I ended up getting him whatever number the double cheeseburger combo was. As I took the food to him, I wanted to make sure that Damien was at my side so he knows that it’s even better to give than it is to receive.

As we approached him to give him the food, he was reluctant. He politely insisted that Damien may be hungry too and I should give it to him. I told him that we had already eaten and we got this specifically for him. His face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning. It was a delight for me being that Damien was there to see and experience it. We walked back to the car and I reiterated to Damien how much we need to appreciate what we have because we never know what may happen.

It was a great situation for everyone; this gentleman now had a hot meal, Damien got to see what it feels like to give, and I got to do a good deed with my son. It was absolutely beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment