Wednesday, June 29, 2011

MOVIE GUIDE: BRIDESMAIDS



This one is gonna be short. When I first seen the trailer to Bridesmaids, I was actually enthusiastic about seeing it. At first glance, I thought it was going to be a female version of The Hangover; so naturally, I wanted to see it. BIG MISTAKE!

I’m like most people; I enjoy watching movies the weekend they’re released. In a way, I like to be immersed in all the hoopla that surrounds it. As weeks go by, a lot of movies for me lose their allure because I’m now anticipating all the other upcoming movies. So as I was an entire month late on watching Bridesmaids, the only reason I went was because I had a free ticket. THANK GOODNESS!

The opening scene to Bridesmaids immediately lets you know what type of movie you’re about to see, something hilarious. Unfortunately, from then on, the movie just seems to drag on and on and on. Throughout the movie, new character after new character gets introduced which to me poses no real positive purpose. As the movie progressed, I had the undoubted feeling that the only reason these people are in the movie is fro the main character to burn even more bridges, only to rebuild them for the oh-so-happy ending. In a way, it was irritating.

Without question the characters are definitely funny in their own right. There are glimmers of comedy throughout the movie but the person that steals every scene is the Megan (the heavier set girl). She in my opinion is the real star of the film; she’s hilarious. Beyond the main character (Annie), Megan, and of course the bride, the other bridesmaids only seem to be around for a somewhat fuller bridal party. And in many cases, you can almost compare them trait for trait with the guys from The Hangover; from the one that’s easy on the eyes, to the straight arrow, to the one that always seems to get conned into everything, and finally, the one who cons everyone that is super funny.

Realistically, towards the end, I seemed to be rooting for the main character to stay in her slump and not recover. I just thought with the amount of damage that she did towards her friends and family, it would be too sudden for them to forgive. I also am adamant about that because there was never that part in the movie where there’s a heart to heart with those hurt. But aaah… HOLLYWOOD !!

In my eyes, Bridesmaids was horrible. And it was so horrible that even if it was free I’d still complain. There were too many plot holes for me to fully appreciate it. Again, there were several moments of genius comedy but not enough for me to give it my stamp of approval.


No comments:

Post a Comment