Thursday, June 16, 2011

MOVIE GUIDE: SUPER 8

I have been looking forward to Super 8 for an extremely long time. After seeing the teaser trailer online some time ago, it instantly got my attention. There were only a few things that I’ve heard and read about this movie yet I was still very captivated.

Over the years, I’ve become a big fan of the projects JJ Abrams have been involved with. Some of these include writing, producing, and/or directing Mission: Impossible 3, Star Trek, episodes of LOST, Cloverfield, Forever Young, etc. I feel he has a broad scope of theatrical genius so it was only natural that I be attracted to this movie. Also, after hearing that mega producer/director Steven Spielberg is involved, that kept my anticipation in overdrive. Before watching Super 8, I had only one preconceived notion on what this movie would be. I first thought it was going to be another Battle LA or Skyline type of sci-fi flick; just a better directed and produced one. It’s nothing like that whatsoever. It went from another alien invasion movie to a group of young kids going on an adventure to not only see this alien, but stop it and save their town. Super 8 insisted 2011 cheesiness but gave you an 80’s classic.

If I had to explain Super 8 to a person in 2 seconds, I’d say, “Super 8 is a mix between E.T. and Stand By Me.

When you don’t really know what to expect, it’s actually hard to critique a movie. All in all, I thought the movie was great. Again, I wasn’t going in expecting to watch an E.T. crossed with Stand By Me type of movie, but I really enjoyed what I seen. I thought the kids that were casted played their roles to a tee. I don’t think I’ve come across any of them before but almost every one of them encompassed the type of friend(s) we’ve all grown up with, more or less. The visual effects used were a modern twist on what was once used back in the 1980’s. The effect I grew to love was the alien itself. Unlike almost every alien in almost every movie, the alien is always crazy vicious and out for blood. In Super 8, the alien is perceived to be that same way, but ends up wanting nothing more than to go back to its own planet. I thought this was a nice touch.

The only disappointment I’d have towards Super 8 is the ending. I thought the final “standoff” between shy young boy and potential crazy vicious alien was a bit too mushy. I would’ve liked to see this moment go another route. On the other hand though, if it did, you’d never know the alien wasn’t meant to be a killer. So on the contrary, I applaud this move.

Again, I really enjoyed what Super 8 had to offer. It ended up giving a nice break to all the alien taking over Earth movies that we’ve been bombarded with as of recently. I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s with classics like E.T., Stand By Me, and Goonies, so it’s a close way to relive the movies of our youth. Super 8, watch it!



No comments:

Post a Comment