Friday, February 17, 2012

I'M A YELPER


I’ve heard of YELP a long time ago. I was familiar with the site but never spent much time on it. Over time, I came to know a lot of people that use the site’s reviews to help them make a decision on their next outing.

At the hotel, I get asked on a daily basis, where would I go, where do I recommend. The places that I like, I always refer business their way. If I had a negative experience at a certain place, I won’t recommend them; plain and simple. However, I’ll never tell the guest of my experience because I’d never want them thinking that I have a personal vendetta with a certain spot.

There were many different reasons why I finally joined the legions of “Yelpers”. One day I visited the site and read a random review on the Haleakala Zipline. My family and I had gone on their ziplines and I actually blogged about it. What the reviewer was saying seemed to be a flat out lie. I continued reading and it seemed there were a lot of people going to different Maui attractions with very different expectations than what the show is really about. That’s when I chose to take action. I figured since I already give reviews to our guests at work; why not share it over social media. I also wanted to clarify a few things considering several reviews seemed to be a bit misconstrued.

My goal with yelp is to not just review certain places, but inform the masses about the spots that the locals flock to; the diamonds in the rough. They may not be the most ideal looking places on the outside, but once found and experienced, you’re more than likely to come back.

Prior to this entry, I wanted to have a few reviews under my belt. In a week’s time, I’ve garnered 7 reviews with 2 USEFUL tags, 1 FUNNY tag, and 1 COOL tag. What I’m most proud of though is my first COMPLIMENT; Good Writer. Just when you think no one is reading what you’re saying, it all pays off when you’re being told you’re a good writer. I think I may have found another calling; Yelper!

No comments:

Post a Comment