Thursday, November 18, 2010

AFRIKA BAMBAATAA



This picture is somewhat old but I still need to post this. For those of you now in the know, this gentleman is one of the founding fathers of Hip Hop, Afrika Bambaataa. Afrika is a living legend. A few of his may creations include, “Looking For The Perfect Beat”, “Renegades of Funk”, “Jazzy Sensations”, and of course, the legendary “Planet Rock”.

I had the opportunity to attend a little concert that Afrika was performing at. It was at an old local spot called Hapa’s. The night was great. As I walked into the venue, I was immediately greeted by a great atmosphere and great friends. Afrika was already on the 1’s and 2’s rocking the crowd. The amount of people inside Hapa’s was unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Hapa’s was easily at capacity with a ton of people still waiting outside. The body heat in there was unbelievable. There were so many people in there,  that a cloud of heat was lingering right below the ceiling. Because Afrika Bambaataa doesn’t smoke or like the smell of smoke, smoking was prohibited which for me was heaven sent, or Afrika sent. He played a 4 hour set while I as there and killed every second of it. The crowd was livelier than any other time I had ever seen it. And to be a part of it was phenomenal.

Thanks for stopping by and showing our island Maui some love. Until we meet again, hopefully on Planet Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment