Thursday, November 18, 2010

99. HOLD A GOLD MEDAL

Athletes train day in and day out for an almighty goal, to become a champion. To me, the title "Champion" is right up there with being a hero, hall of famer, or a legend. Mama always said you can do whatever you set your mind to. Even I could have been a champion, and I know I could have been one too. Like most people, maybe even you, I've never listened to my mama.

Holding a championship ring is #78 on my bucket list. The amount of work and dedication attaining the status of champion is something I'll never fully grasp. Now when you magnify that to become the best in the WORLD, that is unimaginable. About 10 years ago, I found myself face to face with the 2000 gold medal Olympian, Rulon Gardner. Gardner is most famous for upsetting Alexander Karelin, who has been undefeated in Greco Roman wrestling for 13 years.

Many moons ago, in late 2000, I was working at The Sports Authority here on Maui. There was a flaky guy named Richard that I worked with. He somehow had tees with Rulon Gardner's wrestling coach. Rulon was on the island for a wrestling exhibit. Richard asked if it was possible if Rulon could swing by and make a little appearance which the happily obliged. When I first seen Rulon, he was just a colossal individual. His fists were the size of my head and his head was the size of the rest of me. While shaking his hand, his hands were so big that his pointer and thumb could touch. DAMN!! Though he was as big as he was, he was by far the gentlest big man I have ever come across. Working in the footwear department at the time, I had the opportunity to help him find shoes. Because he was a size 15, which we didn't have a big inventory of, he was very much let down. The few size 15s that we did have didn't do him much good either being that he couldn't wear the because of his contract with Aasics. He carried a small black box that both employees and customers were swarming over like flies on "shut yo mouth". In this black box was a 2000 Olympic gold medal from Sydney, Australia. Many fellow employees of mines touched it and wore it. For myself, because I was helping Rulon with shoes, I didn't really have a chance to admire it as much as I would have wanted to, but that was absolutely fine. After getting my turn with the gold medal, I asked Rulon if there's any way I would get some wrestling shoes autographed. Being as gracious as he was, he did it. Holding, seeing, and feeling a real life hold medal was definitely a great experience. The attention to detail that it had was incredible. If you haven't felt gold before, it was pretty damn heavy, which amazed me. If you ever have the opportunity to hold any type of Olympic medal, do so. The sight and feeling of one is unparallel. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of me with it but it'll forever be burned into my memories.


 THE MEDAL ON THE RIGHT

Not only did I get to hold and fell an actual gold medal, but I got to get an autograph by a golf medalist. And to top it all off, I was blessed with being able to help a person that is one of the biggest victors in Olympic Games history.

I still should have listened to my mama though.

No comments:

Post a Comment