Monday, December 27, 2010

17. GIVE A GIFT TO SOMEONE LESS FORTUNATE


Being a former mall employee, it was an annual event for me to see the Salvation Army Angel Tree and all the ornaments hanging for the underprivileged kids of Hawaii. I’ve passed this tree every day of every holiday season and have always told myself that I’m going to make the effort to donate. However, I’m ashamed to say that I never did. No excuses; I was just too damn lazy to get off my rump and think of someone else other than myself. Fortunately, one of my resolutions for 2010 was to live a procrastination free life. I’m glad to report that I finally asserted myself and donated.

I had no idea that giving a gift to a person in need would feel this good; especially when the person is a child. I’m on an emotional cloud 9 and I love this feeling. I was able to donate 4 pairs of shoes and I would have donated more had I found more kids that wore my size =). I had 2 off size shoes so I gave those out too. Now that Damien is at the age of needed shoes for gym class, I can only imagine what underprivileged kids wear or how their parents feel being unable to supply their child with adequate footwear. And with that exact scenario happening, I’m glad I was able to step in and fill the void for 4 kids. What I found funny was the reaction of the 2 lady’s that were logging in the gifts. When they asked the price of the shoes, their jaws dropped when I told them. I never knew giving was tax deductible and I didn’t wan them to think I was lying.

Nonetheless, with “GET A CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR SOMEONE LESS FORTUNATE” being on my Bucket List or not, the act of giving is definitely well worth it. As adrenaline pumping as some of the other things that I’ve done was, giving a gift to a child will always hold a near and dear place in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment