Thursday, June 2, 2011

144. WIN A RADIO CONTEST


Unlike many people, I really enjoy driving. It gives me a chance to think and have my much needed “me” time. I also enjoy listening to one of my favorite radio stations, ESPN AM 550. I love listening to hosts Fred and Bill and their insights. They have a very broad spectrum of sports knowledge and I gravitate towards that. I also love to hear the points of view of the many listeners. And though I don’t agree with many of them, the show keeps my attention and I still enjoy listening.

As I was driving to work, the station was giving away 2 tickets to the first 5 games to Maui’s semi-pro baseball team, Na Koa Ikaika. I’ve had several chances to attend a game last season but unfortunately, due to a lot of PROCRASTINATION, I never did. Fred announces that they’d give away the tickets to the first caller. Having listened to the show for so long, I knew the number by heart so I dialed. Unfortunately for me, because I was on the road, I misdialed the number and I missed out on it. As I was listening to the winner talk to Fred and Bill, they had told him that he has to come to pick up the tickets today because on of the games was for that night. The downside was that I lost the tickets; the upside though was that had I won it, I would have had no way to get them since I’d be at work. What surprised me was that I was seriously bummed that I didn’t get the tickets. Luckily as the broadcast moved on, I ended up forgetting about my loss.

I had made my mandatory Friday steak plate pick up for lunch as I was again on my way to work. About 3 miles away, again Fred Guzman was giving away tickets to the first caller. Being that their number was my last call, I tapped dial twice and the phone started to ring. “Hello caller, may I get your name please”. I was internally going bananas. Externally, I was panicking hoping that the police wouldn’t catch me on my phone while driving. I had given Fred my cousin’s name since I knew he’d be able to pick up the tickets. After solidifying my victory, I went ape shit. I had actually won a few radio contests before but it’s been such a long time that it felt like a totally new experience.

I had told Ray (my cousin whose name I gave) that he needs to go pick up the tickets and he could have them. All I asked in return was that if one of the games was for a Saturday, I’d like to have that one for Anabelle and I to use. Ray utilized the first games tickets with some family and they all enjoyed themselves. The next day, Saturday, was the second game that the tickets were good for so we all went. It’s also been awhile since I’ve gone to a baseball game in which kids weren’t playing so that was a nice change of pace.

We all thoroughly enjoyed the game. There was a ton of good food that both Anabelle and I capitalized on. I loved the fact that there was a lot of entertainment between the innings. We all had a lot of fun. I even won a bag of bar-b-q sunflower seeds. =) Hopefully ESPN 550 will be giving away tickets more often because I’d sure love to go to another game. Maybe then I’ll know all the words to “Take Me Out to the Ballgame”.

No comments:

Post a Comment